Friday, August 12, 2011

The perks of late-night writing sessions

I’ve been a little busy lately. And when I get busy I make like a bat and forsake normal sleeping hours. I also hang upside down and lick nectar from flowers and fruit.

Like this:


The down side is that I miss a lot of daytime (and particularly breakfast) action. However since I’ve always worked better at night, most of the time I’m pretty thrilled with my regimen.

And recently I found another perk – listening to Mark sleep.

That sounds a lot creepier than it is. I don’t stand over his listless, vulnerable body holding a giant horn-like device or anything. And I’ve only toyed with the idea of taping him a couple of times; in my defence a) I was desperate to procrastinate and b) it’s because he’s a total freak.

Every night – and I mean EVERY NIGHT – at some indiscriminate time, Mark breaks his soft, regular snoozing and spends a good minute heartily chuckling to himself.

Then he falls quiet and continues to sleep.

Every. Night.

I’ve often wondered what these nightly outbursts were about, but by the time he wakes up he doesn’t remember anything.

Today I finally found out.

Once again I was happily typing away at my keyboard with the faint staccato of his breathing for company, when suddenly at 2:00am he stopped, raised his head a fraction, laughed from the very centre of his being and happily proclaimed – as if sharing some great joke – “Family To Family”.

I asked for clarification, “Family to family?”

Apparently this was the funniest thing I had ever said.

“Family To FAMILY,” he repeated, finding endless joy in the wit contained therein.

But, alas, he laughed just a little too hard and woke himself up, then just got kind of awkward – like a person caught skinny-dipping by a nun – mumbled something and promptly returned to his dreams. Silently.

I’m assuming this is what he was dreaming about:

Mystery solved!

0 comments:

Post a Comment