Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Cover up, you're making the earth shake!

I know I’ve promised part two of our camping story, but I haven’t had time to write it yet. Sorry, I’m a busy girl with a busy lifestyle and today deadline panic took over my usual lunchtime ranting.

Instead I have a fun story for you to read. Well actually it’s only about two per cent fun and 98 per cent completely fucking insane. Pardon my French, but I’m really concerned for Tehran’s population of 12 million people.

If, like me, you have been struck down with a crazy workload and don’t have much time to spare today, I’ll give you a brief synopsis of what the story is about.

Basically some cleric has allegedly blamed women who are dressed scantily (and are therefore promiscuous) for the earthquakes in the region.

"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which [consequently] increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi apparently told Iranian media.

I’m not sure how many people believe this man, but it must be some for him to have made it onto the online pages of the SMH. Then again, maybe he’s just a lunatic that the Aussie sensationalism-junkies dug up…or maybe he’s been misquoted. Who knows?

The point is that I dare hope that nobody is stupid enough to believe him. Surely they’d have to question why the rest of the world (beginning with Hugh Hefner’s residence) isn’t either under water or (at least) in ruins.

Anyway, of more concern is that Tehran which is home to some 12 million citizens is, according to seismologists, doomed. To quote the SMH journalist it “straddles scores of fault lines, including one more than 80 kilometres long” and hasn’t gone through a major earthquake for some 180 years. That’s gotta spell trouble.

The SMH journalist managed to squeeze some other bits of largely unrelated info into his story – allegations to do with the legitimacy of the election, for one. But I guess what has stayed with me is that even the president (legitimate or not) admitted that five million people should leave to make the city less crowded…what of the other seven million? I just hope they cover up…

0 comments:

Post a Comment