Thursday, December 16, 2010

A quick update on the wastage of time

So it’s really been a while since I was here so you might be thinking that I’ve got stories that’ll rock your world. So let me be the first to apologise for your ensuing disappointment.

I mean unless German study is the sort of thing that makes you take your top off and dance bare-chested on the table. And I’m really not one to judge. It’s a difficult language.

Mark and I have been studying our arses off so that when someone randomly approaches us at an U-Bahn station (subway) or in a club we don’t do the YMCA to communicate that we don’t understand. I’m actually not entirely sure why we do it anyway; we generally get most of what’s being said to us. But the person speaking to us would never know – as far as they’re concerned it’s flying limbs, stunned looks and a bit of tap dancing by two of the most uncoordinated people on the planet.

Contrary to these interactions, our language skills are actually progressing quite well. We’ve both aced all of the tests we’ve done so far. And I say tests because we have two a week. TWO each week. Eeeesh! So if you have any complaints (you know regarding missing content on the blog), you may address them to our German teacher.

Lately I’ve also been doing quite a bit of freelance. Partly to make money (our lavish study-based lifestyle is not going to pay for itself) and partly to prove to myself that just because I sneak German syntax into my English sentences sometimes for no apparent reason, I still have full command over my pseudo-native tongue.

You may also freely assume that at least part of my time has been taken up by watching all three versions of The Duck song (if you have that kind of free time, like me, you should watch them all too):


Now I can’t stop saying “Hey!...Got any grapes?”

The people at our local Bäckerei (bakery) don’t get it. But they weren’t appreciative of the YMCA spectacular either, so I think maybe they’re just a little odd.

0 comments:

Post a Comment