Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hallelujah!

For the past four and a bit months – ever since we arrived in Munich – we have been ploughing through our savings in the kind of haphazard way that someone who thinks the world is ending might do.

Very irresponsible, but we did manage to go to the Dansk Melodi Grand Prix and make total fools of ourselves, like this:




So I’m not complaining.
The main problem with spending ALL of our savings is 1) it takes us even further from our dream to get a Mini Lop and call it “Trish”* and 2) we now live on my irregular freelance earnings month to month. So when we get to about the 15th of the month my panic alarm button goes off like HOLY SHIT! AM I GOING TO MAKE ENOUGH MONEY THIS MONTH?! And my brain plays out a colourful scenario not unlike an avant garde Oliver Twist, with me as Oliver and Mark as the person who tells me I can’t have any more bladdery goodness*because he spent our last pennies on Milo (very avant garde).
But this month is different because MARK GOT A JOB!!!! And not just any job, he got an IT job at a German company...in German! If you’re not recognising how big an achievement this is, let me just break it down a little.
When we first arrived in Munich we approached every conversation with the attitude that if you couldn’t communicate what you wanted to say via interpretive dance you were done for. No matter how good your pom poms looked.
So for Mark to score a job in a German company, where he now has to learn technical German IT jargon, is quite incredible. And it means that today is the 15th and I’ve only chewed one of my hands down to the elbow which leaves the other one free to write this blog.  
 In summary: HIP HIP HOORAY!
*
**I will explain this reference. But not now, so you’ll have to make do on your own.

2 comments:

Lisa Moore said...

Well, let's hope there wouldn't be much of a difference with what you usually do in the IT business, now that you're in Germany. I'm sure it's much more difficult than just translating the technical terms from the German language. And stop chewing your hand! :D

Agnes said...

Ha ha...yes I suppose he does press a few keys here and there as well. And he does talk about things well beyond my comprehension on occasion (until I spasm and pass out from brain overload), so I suppose there might be a bit more to it…but then again German is as complicated as it is entertaining. And, let me tell you, it is very, very entertaining.

I’ve stopped chewing my hand (turns out I only have two of them). Of course now I’ve moved onto the furniture. ;o)

Post a Comment