Friday, May 6, 2011

To make Luke stop whining already

So yes, you’re quite right; I haven’t written in a really long time and I don’t have any really valid excuses. Call it a character flaw if you like.

The misfortune of my laziness is that I’ve missed some rather critical updates...and that has led to whingy emails from one Luke Cornish. Emails to the effect of “I was a little disappointed I didn't merit a blog post. Oh well, maybe I need to do more than travel 22 hours to come see you to get a shout out...”

Clearly things need to be set right. So, firstly, from now on I shall refer to Luke as The King of Guilt and Also Beer Consumption (he has a knack for drinking beer and staying relatively sober while I slip ungraciously into an unflattering, merry, kind of state).

Secondly, I’m going to give a somewhat accurate account of The King’s visit (which was, and continues to be, the highlight of my year thus far....that and the cock-ring man, but we’ll get to that later).

His Highness arrived at our place on a mild Saturday afternoon and pretty much immediately demanded that he be given beer and taken to watch a football game at a local establishment. The rest of the afternoon/night is a little hazy.

On to the next day...as it happened, the week of Luke’s visit fell on Starkbierfest. This delightful tradition was developed by the monks who founded Munich. They found that it was too hard to work the land during Lent without any sustenance, so they brewed a special strong beer that would provide them with what they needed and set out to get approval from the pope. Since the journey took so long, by the time the pope got around to sampling it, the brew had gone off. So he deemed it in the spirit of Lent (for who in their right mind would count that type of beer a pleasure?). From that time on for two to three weeks in April the people of Munich get drunk on one-litre steins of delicious beer in the name of the monks. I love that story.

Naturally we joined in with the tradition. And boy, let me tell you, there’s really nothing quite like sitting in a room with several hundred tipsy Germans in traditional dress, it is charming and delightful and everything nice.

The rest of Luke’s time was spent in a much more respectable manner – with sightseeing and being precious about the weather (which had turned slightly chilly).

Here he is at Marienplatz:


And here he’s enjoying the goods of the famous Hofbräuhaus:



And having a swing at the front of our place:

0 comments:

Post a Comment