Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I’d like to introduce my violent side

A few years back, when I was still at uni and had some free time on my hands I was right into Tae Kwon Do. And I mean all in – training five times a week, competitions and drunk displays of my skills* at uni parties. But since a career in journalism means that I will never have free time again, this commitment to training has waned and my relationship with TKD has become rocky.

For a few months every year I get motivated/delusional and work over weekends and into the nights so that I can spare an evening to training. These months are beautiful but fleeting, because it turns out a human body needs sleep if it is to function without drooling and snoring on public transport.

On top of that, a few months ago I gave a demonstration of my clumsiness and snapped the medial meniscus in my right knee. This led to knee surgery and rendered me un-exercisable. I have not done anything remotely physical since February.

But no matter how unfit, wimpy and pathetic I have become, I cling onto martial arts with unwavering stubbornness. In fact even though a moderately-fit five year old could probably take me down right now, I still consider myself a martial artist and I long for the day when I’ll be able (and allowed) to go back to training.

My obsession isn’t limited to TKD training; I love martial arts movies and watching tournaments on TV whenever I get a chance. Recently Mark and I discovered a UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) reality show which is actually in its twelfth season. We’re a little slow like that.

If anyone is on the ignorance train with me, it’s called The Ultimate Fighter and basically pits sixteen amateur MMA (mixed martial arts) fighters against each other. Each season has a slightly different format (and we’re catching up on season three and eleven simultaneously), but roughly the fighters are broken up into two teams and coached by UFC greats (the likes of Lidell, Ortiz, Shamrock etc), then every week they beat the shit out of each other. And I mean that. The show makes The Contender, which I’m guessing more people are familiar with, look like a nancy tea party. It. Is. Awesome!

Anyway, that was a complete tangent. I just wanted to share our discovery so that you may partake. When I started today’s ranting I actually wanted to share this video with you (and it actually has nothing to do with The Ultimate Fighter). It's more than seven minutes long and the premise is a little bit ridiculous, but I was completely transfixed by it this morning. I won’t give too much away, but hoooly doooly the little guy has spirit!



*considering that I started as a white belt and then progressed up to blue tip (which is about half way to black), those skills were somewhat limited.

0 comments:

Post a Comment