Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pin cushion

Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a pin cushion? No? Well let me tell you anyway because right now I'm sitting in a bar, waiting for Mark so we can commence today's plans and people are throwing pins and daggers at me from their eyes.

But first the context. A couple of weeks ago good friends of ours asked Mark and I whether we could go over to their place and try our best not to kill their baby while they had their first date since becoming The Coolest Parents in the World.

We pledged to do our best and plans were made. Tonight was to be the evening on which we pretended to be grown ups. We even packed an overnight bag. Responsible!

Except one half of The Coolest Parents in the World caught the plague - or something similar - and had to cancel on the date. The other half of TCPITW offered us the tickets to the show they were going to see, so that they wouldn't be wasted.

So plans changed from me meeting Mark at his work to him driving into the city to meet me. I grabbed a desirable table seat at the bar, ordered a wine and waited for the flawless plan to play out.

But aren't we forgetting something? Traffic. TRAFFIC! PEAK HOUR TRAFFIC! So Mark has been trying to fulfill his side of the bargain for over an hour while I've stubbornly held onto the table.

This would be manageable if I hadn't finished my wine. But I did. I slurped that bad boy down like a maniac. And the staff took my glass away. So now I can't go to get another one because the table vultures will steal my seat, but every minute that I sit here without a drink (and it's been quite a few minutes), I feel a silent mutiny forming. The people on stools are out for blood. They want my table and all I can do is sit, busy myself with my iPhone, keep all fingers crossed and collect the vibrant glances like a good pin cushion should.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:A bar

0 comments:

Post a Comment