Wednesday, February 24, 2010

People who do things

When I was younger I always had the impression that one day I would change the world. In the years that have followed I turned from a hopeful optimist to a cynic and my plans for changing the world have been, at least for the time being, shelved. These days I'm quite satisfied with less inspiring achievements like making dinner without setting the house on fire, going an entire day without tripping or noticing and pulling up my zipper without grabbing unwanted attention.

But I am immensely impressed by people who despite facing the everyday battles like the rest of us*, have managed to really achieve something.

Fortunately there are loads of them, but I might just highlight two who by one means or another have come into my field of vision.


The first is the brilliant team behind Kenya Aid. A group of individuals so determined that they have managed to significantly improve the life of a Kenyan community by building a hospital, contributing to education and brining all sorts of goodies to help the local people with everyday life. Pretty incredible.


The second is a project that was sent to me by a genius best friend of mine, who whether he likes it or not is bound for greatness...but that's another story. What he discovered was a super funky water bottle that aims to save the environment. So if you, like me, have yet to benefit humankind, check it out.




*of course I speak of resisting the snooze button, peak-hour public transport, dodging sales calls and other obstacles that have been sent to test our sanity and patience.

1 comments:

Verity said...

Oh lovely, you know Kenya Aid relies on people just like you to donate, turn up to lavish fundraising dinners where we squeeze out your last cent, and hold sanitary pad sewing parties :)

Post a Comment