Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The silver lining!

I'm not sure if you'll believe me, but I have found the silver lining to Sydney's ridiculous housing and rental affordability issues - it makes the rest of the world seem that much more attainable.

My partner and I are moving to Germany - hopefully Munich - in October of this year. Very exciting, but also a lot of uncharted territory (partly caused by the fact that neither of us can do much more than introduce ourselves and identify the kitchen in German).

Whenever we have spoken to people in the know of our Munich plans, the reaction has always been the same: "Oh ja, Munich is a really fun town. Lots of young people, really great culture. But it's so expensive. It is really, really expensive".

So it was with a bit of a heavy heart that I decided to do a bit of research into just how far out of the city we would have to live in order to be able to afford it. I was half anticipating a life in a cardboard box when something super fantastisch happened.

It turns out that fully furnished places in Munich are actually cheaper than Sydney real estate and I couldn't be more excited!

2 comments:

Verity said...

Ha! How funny we both write about moving locations on the same day :)

Agnes said...

Great minds...by the by totally loved the Oymyakon blog. Hilarious! I even left a comment - or tried anyway - my iPhone conked out just as it was going through and now I don't know whether it registered or not.

Post a Comment