Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Topsy-turvy

I don't know where to start. Today the world is a little weird. Maybe it's because of Easter. Who knows? All I know is that the coffee I had this morning has given me the shakes and they match the mood of the day.

I won't bore you too much with my life, but I do want to share a morning train story with you because I really think there's something in the air and if you sniff too much of it you're likely to do something crazy. Like, for example, follow people asking for "money for the bus" while savagely swigging your bottle of near-empty alcohol, like the man I met on my way to work.

Back to my story:

This morning my train was oddly deserted. The strange part isn't that it was a bit empty, that's just pre-Easter vacationing for you, what I mean is that the people on the train were odd. In some bizarre way they resembled the cast of a Village People video clip. For example, next to me was a woman who looked like she'd just come back from a night out - smudged makeup, micro mini and a wild "Toto, I don't think we're in Kings Cross anymore" look in her eyes. Puzzling, considering that it's Wednesday, the Cross isn't on the North Shore line and that she would have had to come from Hornsby and I don't think anything exciting has ever happened there. I called her "Phillis". If you saw her you would understand.

Opposite Phillis were two young, religious types with name badges. I'm not sure which denomination they belonged to but they smiled kindly at her while patting their religious texts and trying very hard not to judge. I think if Phillis had been more sober/lucid she might have taken their looks more kindly, but as it was she just glared at them and (I believe) had she any control over her head, she would have covered them in expletives.

To their left was an old man who looked like he'd just come from his retirement home in Barbados. He was sublimely unaware of his surroundings. Perhaps because in his mind he was lying on the beach or maybe because his bright yellow shirt had blinded him into a passive, happy stupor.

There were also a couple of business types trying to look busy and important (and most likely regretting their decision to come into work instead of heading out of town with the rest of the Sydneysiders).

So after keeping company with all of the above for most of my train ride*, I was prepared for the news...well not really, but close.

I'm going to skip over the Abbott-Rudd debacles for now. There's just so much material that it needs its own blog...maybe even two.

An honourable mention goes out to Malcolm Turnbull's ETS outburst. It will also receive a blog when I find a few moments.

Aside from bullying USA teenagers, Bosnian genocide apologies (almost), music stars (and their greenie groups) getting blasted by the Kimberlee indigenous community and other such tales, I'm going to direct your attention to two stories that particularly hit a spot with me.

The first is about strange comments made by Glenn Stevens (of the RBA) on God's responsibility -- or the lack of -- in the global financial crisis. Perhaps I missed the memo, but since when does religion have anything to do with finance? And why would the question of "where was God when good, honest financial, stockbroking and law institutions toppled?" even come up? It seems like, if there is a God, it would be in his best interest to get rid of little hubs of evil**.

It's all just a little too strange. Have a read yourself. (Secretly I think it was just a way for the governor of the RBA to boast about his guitar skills).

The other story is this highly disturbing report of a hospital allegedly dumping 21 babies into a river in China. Insane! Awful!

Sorry to leave you on such a grizzly note, but it's just that kind of day...

*most got off at either Wynyard or Central, except Phillis who stayed glued to her seat. I think she was hoping that the train would eventually take her back to Kings Cross.

**I'm of course not saying that every institution that toppled was evil or presuming God's motivations, all I'm saying is that the purity of such institutions is questionable.

2 comments:

Verity said...

I'm going to comment on something really random here, but did you notice how on the Age/RBA article, the video player would not let you pause, or stop, the advertisement? How rude! I feel like I've just been completely violated. I didn't want to see an ad about Colgate. Previously happy with my choice in toothpaste, I'm beginning to think a switch to Macleans, who have not to date forced their corporate image down my throat (online at least) may be in order.

As an aside, and more relevant to your post, if we can't blame God for causing all our problems, who can we blame? Surely it's nothing to do with free will and greed.

Oh, and where can I get one of those jobs where I can say 'bullshit' to my boss, have time to send fake emails as part of a rather flawed smear campaign, never work a weekend and have more than $150 million to play with?

Agnes said...

I didn’t notice, but I’m outraged! I feel like I should make the switch to Macleans as well...although a little voice from somewhere deep inside is telling me that not only will Colgate make my whites whiter but that it’ll improve my libido, fix my finances and fill my life with happiness, meaning and new clothes.
I’m all for blame games, but as far as I knew nobody was blaming the omnipotent...Glenn just took it upon himself to introduce and solve that problem. It’s as if though I said “I don’t think that pigs are to blame for my weight problems. Sure, some people have said that if I ate less bacon I’d be thinner, but I think it’s unfair to blame pigs. I’m the one who chooses to demolish a kilo of bacon a week.” Well duh....
And again I concur re. the job thing. Still working on that one...but first I must give my sparklers a quick clean...I can’t help feeling that my life would be easier if I had some portable toothbrush-like device.

Post a Comment