Monday, May 3, 2010

Back at work!

So I bet you’re expecting me to be all like “I’m back at work and every minute I spend in the office brings me closer to taking to my desk with my crutches”. You’re wrong. Not only am I not able to do that – the knee is still a problem – but I’m actually enjoying being in the office.

Yes, you heard right and no I’m not on the sensation-numbing pain killers. After a week of working-from-home bliss, I’d had just about enough! I’ve actually really been missing the way the lights glisten above my work desk and lure me into a false perception of the weather outside. They bring constant surprise. Will it be sunny when I venture out after work? Probably not; daylight savings is over. Will it be cold? Will it be warm? There’s so much magic and mystery involved.

I’ve also been gifted with a new monitor. It claims to be the SyncMaster 2233SW. I don’t know. I’m not up on my monitor models, but it looks trustworthy enough. It is flat, sleek and infinitely more pleasant to work with than my previous monitor, which was showing advanced signs of Parkinson’s.

This new screen makes me feel like a real editor – rather than the outdated, pen-holding-my-hair-together mess that I resemble on most days. I feel very professional. Not to mention Mr SyncMaster 2233SW is about four times bigger than my netbook (rest in peace), which makes it a whole lot easier to work with.

But although it’s pretty great, the main reason why I’m quite happy to be at work is for the company. I work with some pretty great people, you see, and seeing them in the morning and having a whinge about call centre operators at banks and phone companies is something that I’ve missed even more than I thought I would. And I knew that I’d miss it.


Aside from that I’ve always envisioned working from home to be a super-chic, Vogue-photo-collage kind of experience. You know – neat home office with the latest gizmo computer on an impossibly clean desk, rows of organised files and folders, a cup of tea and a very organised, professional-looking person at the centre of it all.


A bit like this picture:



















Combined with this picture:





















And this picture (but maybe without the seductive look. I really don't need to seduce my workspace):



















Well, not quite so. I was pyjamas, Panadol, dripping computers and mess all over the place (sorry there are no pictures on the net that do it justice). I think the apartment is going to need a good day worth of folding, sorting, putting-into-the-right-place-ing and good-lord-how-long-has-this-bill-been-buried-under-here-ing.

So I’m back at work. Speaking of which, my lunch is now over and it’s time to do some writing. On my fancy new monitor. I am loving life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment