Tuesday, May 4, 2010

We’re getting a puppy!

Let’s get one thing out of the way: I’ve always wanted a dog. Always. I don’t know how early it started, but for the sake of arguing, let’s just assume I was born that way. Born wanting a puppy.

Sadly by the time I was old enough to communicate this desire, I was far too ugly to be given attention (no, really, as a child I looked like a cross between a beaver, a sheep and an 80’s explosion) and my family had set its sights on coming to Australia.

For those of you who live in Sydney; enough said. For those of you who don’t, I should explain that the rental policies here are supremely anti-animal. So anti-animal that sometimes you can buy an apartment and still not be allowed to have pets. Except kangaroos. Kangaroos are fine.

Now, some years later, I’ve still never owned a dog. The closest thing was two foundling cats:

Kicia, who at least partly considers herself a dog and spent a fair bit of her life escaping through the front door so she could growl at the neighbour’s dog:




















and Hammie who used to play chase with my friend’s puppy:




















And now they live with my parents because I didn’t want to be that crazy homeless cat woman; the one with unruly hair, a crazy name like Agnes and insane cats. So I gave in and finally said yes to a “no pets” apartment. Now my cats spend their days being drenched in my mother’s love and gaining weight. I don’t think they’re ever coming back.

On to my original point: puppies.

I’m not sure how it came about, but Mark and I have decided that we’re going to get a black tri-coloured Border Collie as soon as we can, if not sooner. Before we do that, we have to tackle the more troublesome question of “How many years will we have to work to get enough money for a place with a garden in Sydney?”

So, I’m happy to announce, that we’ll be getting one of these little suckers in about sixty years! Exciting times!

0 comments:

Post a Comment