Friday, May 21, 2010

Finders Keepers

Yesterday I met my second cousin for the first time. That is – try to keep up – my dad’s cousin’s daughter. Here’s a diagram to help your struggling Friday brains:

Before we move on I should add that my sister Kate is neither a midget nor a five year old. I’m just not very good with Paint and I wanted to express that she’s quite short. Which she is. Kate if you’re reading this; sorry but you are.

Back to my story.
The meeting came about after I received a joyously frantic phone call from my mother. Almost passing out from excitement, she panted something about the wonder of social networking and pretty images and asked me to go to Hazelbrook (where my parents live) to get acquainted.

I was so impressed that a relative I didn’t even know existed came to Australia and managed to find my family, that I hopped on the first train out of town all buzzing with curiosity.

Believe me, finding my family is not an easy thing to do. Not only are we unfaithful to our apartments and extremely busy all the time, but my parents don’t believe in mobile phone voicemail or in getting an answering machine that accurately records messages. I’m sure there are banks, health institutions, vets and even government candidates that have been trying to track us down for years and here Jo managed to find all of us within a day or two.

Amazing!

What’s even cooler is that she and her boyfriend Matt are circumnavigating Australia. They bought an old $3,000 Nissan 4WD in Perth and drove it all the way to Sydney via the south of the country and are now planning to return to Perth via the north.

You know what this means, right? This means that I’m related to the female version of Bear Grylls (Man vs Wild). Except she’s never slept in an animal carcass…oh and she’s not insane.

Actually she’s fantastic – sweet, funny, really charismatic and likeable. Have I mentioned that I’m related to this person, everyone? Because I am!

Except, do you know what? That’s another brilliant cousin I have to add to my selection of family geniuses – my brainy multi-lingual Polish-Swiss cousins, my multi-lingual, super talented and artsy Polish cousin, her IT-savvy McGiver-esque (but with a better haircut and sense of humour) brother and (of course) my pint-sized but super intelligent and successful sister…and I can’t even write this post in Latin. Oh the shame!

3 comments:

dempsej said...

Since all that social networks came to light, tracking ppl become much easier. I wasn't found by any mysterious cousin or friend or smth ;], but I have found many people thanks to that. Including You :). And this blog. And it's giving me laugh. Yes it does.
Just realised, that I must be not interesting in any factor if no one wanted to query the Internets for me ;P.
Oh well, at least I have some privacy ;P

Agnes said...

Hahaha...maybe your family isn't as loopy as mine? You probably just need to find yourself some crazies...

My sister does this great turtle impersonation, maybe I could convince her to extend her talents to stalking non-family members?

Agnes said...

But yes you're right, I've found all sorts of people I thought I'd never get a chance to see again. It's quite brilliant actually.

Post a Comment